Monday, April 17, 2006

The Great Passover Rice Debate

Many people may not be aware of the GREAT RICE DEBATE on Passover. I'm here to unveil it and maybe solve it! (Ok, maybe not solve it, but at least figure it out.) Oh, and of course, check out the multiple wiki articles linked below.

There are 2 types of Jews out there. Those who eat rice on Passover and those who don't. The line is usually drawn between Ashkenazi Jews (European Ancestry) and Safardic Jews (Arabic/Spanish/African Ancestry). Sometimes it is drawn between American Jews and Israeli/First Generation American Jews.

First - we all know what isn't allowed - "Chometz" (or Chametz) (which is the product of any of the five grains - wheat, spelt, barley, oats and rye - coming into contact with water for more than 18 minutes allowing it to ferment). That usually includes most types of bread that you buy in a store. Many people usually say "no yeast products" on Passover to simplify it (although it isn't the entire story). Because Chometz is totally forbidden on Passover, some people take major steps to make sure they don't mistakenly eat it.

That is where the rice comes into play. They fall into a category called "Kitniyot" (aka legumes). This category includes foods such as corn, soy beans, string beans, peas, lentils, peanuts, mustard, sesame seeds and poppy seeds.

So where did all the confusion start? Because "Kitniyot" products sometimes appear like "Chometz" - and even get mixed into the same products or are produced in the same factories (like wheat flour and rice flour) - many people avoid inadvertently eating Chometz by not eating Kitniyot.

So to avoid any mistakes Ashkenazi Jews have forbidden rice during Passover. However, Safardic Jews give a more literal reading of the Torah and eat rice because technically Chometz is the only thing forbidden.

Where do I fall? I eat rice. If I were to not eat "Kitniyot" that would mean I also couldn't eat corn, some nuts, beans, peas - which I bet many Ashkenazis eat without thinking about it! (And what about Corn Syrup that is in most soda or peanut or corn oil that is used to cook many foods?) The argument against rice has nothing to do with what the Jews coming out of slavery did. It also has nothing to do with "giving it time to rise" or "because it expands." It only has to do with how kitniyot products are made, how the look of the product can be confused with other grains, and being completely paranoid about Chometz.

Chometz is forbidden on Passover. Rice is not Chometz. I think that says it all.

Still confused? Check out these articles: Ask the Rabbi and Jewish Heritage Questions and Wiki's Food Rules for Passover

And by the way - I really shouldn't be on some high horse about this. I am sure I'll be eating Chometz before the holiday is over! I usually break it - and although I have made it this many days I still have until Thursday and I'm not sure if I can hold out. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger elad said...

Good luck, dear!

Although I broke mine pretty early this year, I completely respect and encourage you to make it throughout the whole week.

April 17, 2006 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com