Monday, September 18, 2006

Project Runway - Olympus Fashion Week Thoughts

Now that we have had an entire weekend to think about Uli, Michael, Laura and Jeffrey's lines at fashion week...what do we think? Who is going to win??

You know it isn't necessarily the line that looks the best or is most wearable. The designer has to show a unique point of view that does not imitate any current trends or other designers. That makes me feel like Michael might be ruled out because he used a lot of oversized high belts - which is a very trendy thing right now.

Think about our last 2 winners. Jay and Chloe made lines that weren't everyday fashion and did not look like anything you could find in a store. Do any of this season's designers remind you of that?

Uli and Laura are very much themselves. The two of them are at very different ends of the designing spectrum. Uli being casual and Laura being dressed up. But I think Uli's line is a little more unique than Laura. I think a mid-30's to 40's career woman has most of Laura's styles already in their closet. But then again I have seen a lot of flowy hippy dresses this season everywhere.

And what about Jeffrey? Where does he fall into all of this? The fact that many of his designs remind me of other dresses I have seen makes me think he isn't standing out enough.

So yea, really I have no idea still.

And who is the decoy? Some say Laura because she is the only one without a bathingsuit. But Michael has 2 bathingsuits. And would Project Runway be that obvious?

Also some say Michael because Uli is using Nazri, which makes us think that Michael got cut and Uli took Nazri. That could be true - OR the designers had a last chance to repick their models and Uli switched (like she did in one of the earlier episodes in this season). Michael had Clarissa as a model - who I think used to model for Angela. So did the big switch go down in this coming episode?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sick I can't take it! I need to know who is in or out. I really think Michael is out because he would never give up Nazri...she has served as his muse. I think his line was true to who he was... the generation of hip hop which he stated he is a product of. I think Jeffrey tried to keep it rock and roll but looking at his line imo he did a Santino. So i find it hard for the judges to reward him with a win that they eliminated Santino on. Laura designed for herself which has always been her issue. so I truly think Uli was the dark horse that won.

September 18, 2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Soon enough....just a few more weeks -- but yes the anticipation is killing me!!! :)

Uli could take it all...I still love what she is doing

And Jeffrey did pull a Santino - a lot of stuff actually looked Santino-ish

September 18, 2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger elad said...

My thoughts: Jeffrey's line seems very strange to me. It doesn't look like his stuff at all. There's no real edge, no rockstar embellishments. It's quite surprising in its quietness.

Michael's seems a little one-note. Variations on one or two concepts, with a lot of good color. I don't know. Obviously, we can't make decisions or assumptions before we see the outfits come to life on the runway, but I'm surprisingly unimpressed.

Laura, now and all season, bores me to tears. And that Elvria dress at the end seems so cheesy horror movie. I do respect her craftsmanship and her devotion to her style, but, again, where's the surprises??

I agree with you, Shawn, Uli's dresses are fun and flashy. True, they all scream ULI(!), but that's her thing. She should run with it, all the way to the win.

September 18, 2006 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com