Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How Many Legislators Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb Act

California lawmakers are trying to get a bill passed that would ban incandescent lightbulbs (or just those regular old round light bulbs you buy in the store) by 2012.

Instead California wants people to use energy-saving compact fluorescent lightbulbs also known as CFL's (as seen above). They last much longer, use less energy and generate less heat. They are made in all sizes so they can fit almost any lamp fixture.

They do cost a little bit more money up front - but since they last longer and use less electricity they practically pay for themselves after 500 hours of use. If you only use a light four hours a day the bulb has paid for itself in 125 days!

Some facts - CFL's are guarenteed to last 8000 hours (regular bulbs last 500 to 2000 hours) and they use about 1/4 the amount of energy regular bulbs use. For example, a 15-watt CFL produces the same amount of light as a 60-watt regular bulb.

So really if every person in the US changed at least one lightbulb in their home it could greatly affect the amount of energy consumption. An organization called One Billion Bulbs is attempting to make something like that happen. Here is their Energy Saving Calculator:

www.OneBillionBulbs.com

Last year I changed all the lightbulbs in my apartment and when I moved I tried to change as many as possible in my new place. I haven't been able to find the right type of bulb for the bathroom yet, but I am keeping my eyes open for them. My electricty bill isn't usually too bad so I am not sure if there is a differnce yet in the bill. I should really change my Air Conditioner first and then I will see a real difference. One thing at a time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com