Thursday, September 27, 2007

What If You Spent Every Day of the Last Year Following Every Rule of the Bible?

You would look like this guy.

For a year A. J. Jacobs lived his life by every rule set out in the Bible. That includes the prohibition of certain hair cutting, as seen in the picture above. But what wasn't he able to cut out? Coveting.

But he did manage to stone an adulterer!

From a Newsweek interview:

What rule was the hardest to follow?
Two kinds of rules were hard. Avoiding sins we commit every day like lying, gossiping and coveting was hard, and then there were the rules that were hard to do in modern life, like stoning adulterers. But I did manage to fulfill that one. What happened was, I was in the park, dressed in my white garb, and this man in his 70s came over and asked what I was doing. I explained I was trying to follow every rule in the Bible as literally as possible, including growing my beard, not mixing fibers, stoning adulterers, and he said, “I’m an adulterer, are you going to stone me?” I said, “Yeah that would be great.” The Bible doesn’t say what size the stones have to be, so I had been carrying around these pebbles in my pocket for just such an occasion. I took the pebbles out of my pocket, and he instantly picked one up and threw it at me, so I decided, an eye for an eye, and I tossed one at him. It did provide an entry for talking to people about capital punishment and the Bible. How could they stone adulterers, what was life like back then, does it apply today. I tried to say to the guy, you shouldn’t sleep with other women, but I don’t know if it sunk in.

I like how now his perception has shifted and he appreciates good things that happen and how he sees his life as one of responsibility rather than rights and entitlements. I guess that's the real point of religion? To give your life some meaning and to help you get through the days when they are hard.

Learn more about A. J. Jacobs and his new book, The Year of Living Biblically, at Newsweek.

(via Boing Boing)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger kovoor36 said...

very interesting! i saw the stoning and was like how was this not major headlines!! then saw it was just pebbles:)

September 27, 2007 11:48 AM  
Blogger happy roy said...

this sounds fascinating! i'll definitely have to add this to my "to be read" list.

September 27, 2007 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com