Friday, September 16, 2005

happy birthday to the slurpee

growing up where i did in northern jersey led me to be strangely sheltered. i was oblivious to a world that was familiar to many americans and yet my only exposure to it was in television and movies. what is this world of which i speak? it was the world of kmarts, walmarts, 7-11's. the first time i saw a kmart was in new york city, strangely enough. my first time entering a 7-11 was in dc after i moved here 2 years ago.

anyway, the walmart/kmart discussion is for another post, but i was reading Slate at msn today and saw that the Slurpee has turned 40. my first experience with a Slurpee was 2 years ago when george, aghast that i had never imbibed the delightful frozen drink, dragged me into a 7-11 to see what i was missing.

many people tell me that i must have 'seen it all' going to school in nyc and being an r.a. (shawn, would you agree?). i think to myself that while it's understandable to assume that, living in nyc would never have exposed me to things like slurpees...well maybe until this year now that manhattan has its first 7-11.

7 Comments:

Blogger elad said...

slurpee's rock! as I child I use to LOVE the coke one. I was like, "It's frozen coke!!"

Nowadays, it would probably upset my stomach.

September 16, 2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I actually heard about the 7-11 coming to NYC for the first time and I was shocked because 7-11 is all over long island and i just assumed it was in nyc too (so i had plenty of exposure to the frozen joy)

and yea we might have seen it all while living in NYC - but in reality we saw the things that really matter or are interesting - you can get an immitation slurpee in nyc - but there are no immitation salad mixing restaurants or a fabulous cupcake bakery in the suburbs.

September 16, 2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger kovoor36 said...

you never had a slurpee until recently??? it is the drink of the gods!!!:)

September 16, 2005 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never had a slurpee? In New Jersey? I wish I knew that before - i would have taken you - YEARS ago!

I'm a huge slurpee fan - when I'm working late in the summer - me and Muhammed go to the 7-11 by the office for a "slurpee break."

September 17, 2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger happy roy said...

nimra, WHERE is there a 7-11 in passaic/bergen county?? i feel so deprived that you kept that secret from me for so long! =)

September 19, 2005 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is one in Wayne, off the Hamburg turnpike. One in Elmwood Park off of Route 4. Another one in Fair Lawn off of River Road. There's even a rumour that the Pizza Garden is going to be turned into a 7-11 in Clifton . . .

September 19, 2005 12:23 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

you should try the nachos at 7-11 --- fill up the container with tons of hot nacho cheese and dip away!

September 19, 2005 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com