Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Life, Work, and Everything In Between

I've been having a little trouble figuring out the dimensions of Work.

I've now been working for a whole year (the first in my life), first at Smart Publishing and now at The Greater Miami Jewish Federation. I have what can only be considered a "Regular Job." I have healthcare (well, I will), I have a regular paycheck, and perfectly ordinary desk. For the last month, I was firmly locked to my desk while working on a major, major, event (the largest in the history of the Federation). I worked for hours and hours and seemed like I was constantly living in this event-prep state.

Now, that event is over and regular work is returning. And it's very odd. I feel bored at work with very little to do. I kinda liked the frantic pace of working under a constant, looming, deadline. The office is quiet. It's all very disconcerting.

I took Monday off cause I needed the extra relaxation time and had a wonderful day living in the world of the Unemployed again. Oh, what a world that is! There's so much time to get things done, to space out and listen to music, to watch movies in the afternoon. Get some non-work work done, even.

I'm trying to get a handle of this thing that everyone does. But like everything everybody seems to do easily, it's hard for me. I miss the casual breeziness of time. I feel like work drains my energy and thus, my creativity. I feel like being inside all day chained to a desk and a monitor is counterproductive to life. I miss writing.

But, is it? Through work, I've had the pleasure to meet a lot of very interesting people. I've experienced a lot of memorable times (my trip to NYC for the International Art Expo comes immediatly to mind). I've also been able to afford things I never would have before, and that's very nice.

I believe I'm not meant for this office job thing. My heart will always be with books and reading and writing. That's where my focus belongs. But, for now, I'll continue to do this "work" thing and see where it leads. I hope I'm not alone in my reservations.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Yes you are very alone. The whole world loves work. Heheheheh I'm just kidding!

I can't count the number of days that I ask myself what the hell am I doing - and if I really have to get out of bed and go to work. It's normal to feel like working all the time isn't natural - because it is nice to just relax and do your own thing all day. But since we live in a capitalistic world, we gotta pay the bills, buy the christmas/chanukah gifts, eat out in restaurants - all that fun stuff. And well, it isn't all that bad. Sometimes work lets you feel accomplished, responsible, intelligent, needed, and useful. Those things aren't so bad and can only add to your character.

December 21, 2005 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com