Monday, March 19, 2007

Insanity Is An Option

I am the owner of an LG High Efficiency all in one washer and dryer unit. It came with my apartment and I was really happy and excited about it the first time I saw it. It is small, it takes up very little energy and it is a laundry unit in my apartment!

Unfortunately for me, after a month of using it I started to hate it. I didn't like the amount of time it took to do a load (about 4 to 5 hours). I didn't like the way the clothes came out. I saw too many wrinkles and everything felt over-dry. And then finally, a sensor broke. Now I use it to stack pots and pans on top of it.

Over the past few months I have almost lost my mind over what to do with this machine. After it broke I called a number of repair companies. Most never heard of this type of machine (I guess it is too European for them) and when I finally found a company and made an appointment they never showed up.

My most recent decision was to give it to Charity. I called the Salvation Army and have been told they do not accept broken appliances.

I then considered trying to sell it in its current condition. But how do you put up a classified ad to sell something broken that I have no clue how much it will cost to fix. I don't have the heart to not tell someone how messed up the machine is.

So I went back to the first decision and tried to find another company to repair it. After being put on hold and hung up on a few times, I finally got through to a real person who was willing to give me an appointment. Unfortunately the appointment isn't until mid-April. I guess I have waited long enough for this thing to get fixed, so what's another month of waiting?

But now what do I do with this thing when it is fixed? Should I put it up on Craigslist and just try to recoup what I paid for the repair? What are people willing to pay for this type of machine? I believe I am about to lose my mind and I won't be at peace until this machine is only a distant memory.

Please help!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have lots of patience for this machine...I would have tossed it already..and the money used to fix buy a new one.

Saby

March 19, 2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I don't know why but I just don't feel comfortable throwing away large appliances.

March 19, 2007 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably both... too European and the mix washing-dryer it does not usually work, best option is both, one on top of the other I got one and they had to disabled the dryer option after a few months. The washing still goes great!
Well, if you buy a new one, when they deliver it to you, dont the take the old one?!?!? - probably they will even fix it!!!
MIELE and AEG are best european brands for washing machines and probably offer you good maintenance service also.

Other than that... maybe a technical college would be glad to take it and experience with it!and when they fix it... you could always sell it!

March 19, 2007 5:10 PM  
Blogger SuperBee said...

You omitted when you cornered me and tried to sell it to me for $100.00 because "I could use an extra dryer, what if my current one broke!?" And then we fell down laughing.

March 20, 2007 3:04 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

You really can't blame me for trying!

By the way, it's still for sale if you are interested ;)

March 20, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger happy roy said...

i have no suggestions but definitely let us know what happens!

March 21, 2007 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com