Monday, March 12, 2007

Miami, You Have Surprised Me!

Saturday night Elad, Superbee and I went to the Gallery Walk in the Miami Wynwood Art District. It takes place every 2nd Saturday of each month.

Of course my dumb ass forgot my camera, but Critical Miami has some pictures of galleries that I don't think I went to (I think they went to galleries in the Design District and not the Wynwood District - or maybe I was drunk)

Anyway, we had a great time! I know usually we give Miami a lot of shit for being a sub-par city - being that mostly everything to do with the city sucks. But for once, I was part of something that wasn't sucky!

We started up around 36th Street and Miami Avenue. We hit up the Bernice Steinbaum Gallery and the Dot Fiftyone Gallery along with some others. At this point we were already happy with what we were seeing. Plus the free booze was flowin.

Next we walked down Miami Ave and checked out Spinello Gallery, Signature Art Gallery, Hardcore Art Contemporary Space, Kunsthaus Miami and I think some others. At this point I don't remember any names of Galleries and I am resting entirely on the Wynwood Map for guidance.

A little tipsy, we finally made our way towards the 23rd Street hub of action. All of the galleries were filled with people and offered snacks (cheese, fruit, crackers) and beverages (I had a fabulous Mojito and a Chocolate Martini....mmmmm).

In the middle of naming Superbee's first child "winesnack" and trying to hail a cab to Denny's I realized that I hadn't had that much fun in awhile. And yes, I have Miami and my lovely partners in crime for the evening to thank for that.

So if you ever are free the 2nd Saturday of the Month I highly recommend checking out the excitement in the often-shady-but-not-on-this-night Wynwood neighborhood.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Elad said...

agreed! it was a surprisingly enjoyable evening. Some great art, good booze, and even better company.

March 12, 2007 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

most of my pictures were from the Design District, but Kerry Ware (Dorsch Gallery) is Wynwood. It was just a coincidence. Love you guys -- let's hang out next time!

March 13, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger Maria de los Angeles said...

I was surprised too! I definitely want to go next month ... perhaps we'll all meet up and maybe take up Alesh on the "get drunk and see what happens" approach. :-)

March 14, 2007 2:29 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Alesh and Manola - it's a date!

March 14, 2007 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com