Monday, October 08, 2007

The Office - Season 4, Episode 2 - Dunder-Mifflin Infinity

Last week the camera crew "outed" Jim and Pam to the audience and this week Toby outed them to the Office. He caught them sneaking some "PDA's" and issued a memorandum reminding the office that this type of behavior isn't allowed.

Michael gets on the defensive thinking it was about him and Jan. Toby is put on the spot and admits he saw Jim and Pam. And the office reacts:

Michael: My heart soars with the eagle’s nest.

Dwight: I don’t see it. I think they both could do better.

Angela: It’s not a surprise to me. Pam is the office mattress.

Andy: Guess who just became the best-looking single guy in the office?

The office is getting ready for the return of Ryan, the new "boss". Michael still sees himself as Ryan's mentor and the power struggle begins.

Meanwhile, Dwight is trying to make up to Angela what he did to Sprinkles. He offers her another cat that isn't up to Angela's standards.

Angela: I don’t want Garbage! I want Sprinkles!

Jim and Pam talk to Toby about the need to fill out any paperwork to disclose their relationship to the company. Toby is obviously a bit jealous and doesn't take their relationship seriously.

There is serious tension between Ryan and Michael. Ryan is trying really hard to assert his status as corporate.

Michael: Yeah, Ryan snapped at me. But there was this twinkle in his eye that I picked up on which said, “Dude, we’re friends. I’m doing this for appearances. I am the big boss now. And I have to seem like an ogre. But you know me and you trust me. And we like each other. And we’ll always be friends. And I would never take you for granted in a million years. And I miss you, man. And I love you.” His words.

Ryan calls a meeting to present to the office Dunder Mifflin Infinity which are new changes coming to the work place to bring in a younger technology vibe.

Creed is getting the feeling that the older people in the office are getting pushed out.

Creed: I’m telling you, this kid is the Grim Reaper.

Pam and Jim finally admit that they should have gotten together a long time ago. Oh, and that they both know about Dwight and Angela's relationship. And it seems now that the news is out about Pam and Jim, the entire office is worried they are about to walk in on some naughty moment between the two of them.

Phyllis: I couldn’t see your hands.

Also, it seems like the co-workers are worried Pam will play favorites with her man.

Phyllis: It’s great that you’re dating. But when a new client calls, you just have to randomly assign them to a salesperson. You can’t base who gets new clients on who you’re sleeping with that week. Okay?

And it seems like Kelly has a plan to get back Ryan.

Kelly: I hope you’re still committed, because I’m pregnant. And guess what, buddy. I am keeping it.

Is it true?
No! But at least she got a date out if it.

Angela and Dwight make a date for that evening. But Angela insists it is "in public." What could this be about?

Jan shows up to the office to have lunch with Michael. She runs into Ryan....awkward!

Ryan: Scranton suits you.
Jan: Best decision I ever made.
Ryan: You were let go.
Jan: You know what? Love the beard. Keep it forever.

Ryan pisses off Jan just enough for her to get annoyed and run her mouth off to Michael. She tunes him into the idea that Ryan might be pulling some age discrimination with his new "Infinity" plans.

Michael takes this to a whole other level so he can put Ryan in his place (and keep his job). Michael calls a meeting to talk about elderly people.

Michael: New ideas are fine. But they are also illegal. Because they are a form of ageism. What? Yes, I am right.

Michael brings in Robert Dunder to talk to the office. After quickly getting tired of Dunder's ramblings, Michael pushes him out and ends the meeting.

Michael: We have learned that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Because it’s illegal. And you will go to jail.

Angela and Dwight have their "date" and Angela breaks the bad news.

Angela: Every time I look in your eyes, I see Sprinkles’ stiff, lifeless body.
Dwight: Then don’t look in my eyes. Look right here. It’s an old sales trick.

Angela breaks up with Dwight. Is it really over?!?!?! But I feel like it was just beginning!

The next day at work Michael feels like Ryan's new way of running business won't match up with the old ways of doing this. Michael takes on a project to win back ex-clients with gift baskets.

Michael: I think he is forgetting about the original instant message. Letters attached to baskets of food.

Michael: Gift baskets are the essence of class and fanciness. They are the ultimate present that a person can receive.

Michael thinks he has a lot to prove but nobody is on board, except Dwight.

Michael: Ever since I was a kid, people have been telling me I can’t do things. You can’t be on the team. You can’t move on to second grade. Well, now they’re telling me I can’t win back clients using old-fashioned business methods. We’ll see about that. And FYI, I eventually aced second grade. And I was the biggest kid in class.

And Creed is totally worried he is out because he is getting too old. He changes his look and attitude to blend in with the younger crowd.

Creed: Sometimes a guy’s gotta ride the bull. Am I right? Later, skater.

Dwight and Michael head off to give away some baskets and aren't doing too well trying to get back those customers. The rest of the office stays behind. Andy and Kevin gossip about how cool Ryan is. Jim doesn't get it.

Andy: He has a killer job. He’s rich. He smells like what I think Pierce Brosnan probably smells like. He wears really cool rich guy clothes.
Kevin: And he can get any girl that he wants.
Andy: So sorry, Tuna, but if you don’t know why that’s awesome, then you need awesome lessons.

Ryan talks Pam into drawing some new logos for Dunder Mifflin Infinity. He uses all these corporate type words and Pam doesn't know what he is saying but she is excited to do something artsy.

Pam: Yeah, I’m going to do some mock-ups, and then turn those into thumbnails, maybe do some splash frames? I don’t know what I’m talking about. But I’m excited.

Michael is driving around all day in a rental car with a GPS system. He first loves it and relies on every move it tells him to make. But the GPS tells him to make a right turn into a lake and he listens...

Michael: A machine told me to drive into a lake.

Michael gets very angry and heads back to one of the offices of an ex-client and insists to get the gift basket returned. This isn't Michael's day.

Back at the office, Ryan is checking out Pam and the logo she made for Infinity. Ryan asks Pam out on a date and she is shocked. She declines and tells him about Jim. Turns out this is the 3rd girl Ryan has wanted to date that Jim got first. You know I used to think Jim wasn't much of a ladies man but his dating record looks much differently on paper.

Jim: I guess he can’t get any girl he wants.

In the end, Michael's gift basket idea wasn't a success. Creed wasn't fired for being old. Ryan's plans still look to be going forward. Angela and Dwight are over. Jim and Pam are just getting started. And poor Kelly had to reveal the truth about being pregnant.

Michael: Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy.

Pictures from Office-Caps. Quotes from Office Tally.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Scorps1027 said...

nice recap! my favorite moments defly were b/w ryan and kelly. they're both so full of it, they almost are the perfect couple. ryan is such a slimeball this season! all that power went straight to his head.

michael driving his car into the lake...priceless.

i also like the depth they are adding to the angela/dwight relationship.

but one thing i'm defly missing....have jim and pam stopped playing jokes on dwight? i miss the jim/dwight interaction.

October 08, 2007 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,These images are really very very nice. I like this.Dunder Mifflin Infinity is the second season of Episode 4.Actually all the seasons are interesting.personal interaction is more effective than new technology, Michael decides to go out and win back the clients they lost in the past year with gift baskets.That basket are very attractive.This is really a very interesting episode.Any body can explain who stole the gift basket.

April 23, 2008 2:44 AM  
Blogger VJ_M said...

I have watched a number of blog over the internet for the office episodes or the others but the great thing i have noticed on your blog is that the presentation given by you is awesome.

May 15, 2008 2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com