Monday, August 01, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

Wow, what a great film. What's that phrase reviwers love, "a tour de force"?

Extremely moving. Especially because of Don Cheadle's performance. That character changed and moved and made hard decisions like I haven't seen in a movie in a long, long, time. Only "The Motorcycle Diaries" in recent memory has affected me in such a way.

I'm not going to propose to say I fully understand the conflict and all the subtleties of the film but it was a very rewarding movie-going experience. It wasn't as depressing as I thought it'd be. It wasn't funny or "fun" like people believe movies should be. I'm very glad I saw it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

I definetly agree that this movie was intellectual and moving. Even if you don't fully understand the situation in Rwanda you can understand the complexity of the characters. The acting is so amazing that you can feel the rollercoaster of emotions.

August 01, 2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger oodles said...

I think I cried my way through that movie when I wasn't in shock of other things happening, during the film.

August 02, 2005 5:19 PM  
Blogger bonnie said...

a tour de force!!!!

ok totally off topic, but i just put cliched movie quotes under the title of my blog, just for fun and thats one I used!!!

its one of those things that people say all the time and so i don't even really know what it means!

August 03, 2005 4:30 PM  
Blogger bonnie said...

P.S. - I wasn't trying to be insensitive, I was just excited about seeing someone say tour de force. I haven't seen this movie yet, but it has been netflixed and is sitting in my house, waiting for a moment when i'm ready to brace myself to cry a lot. I know I need to watch it and its not going to be easy.

August 03, 2005 4:32 PM  
Blogger elad said...

no offense taken. i was initally being funny by using "tour-de-force."

and, don't be afraid to watch this. it's not as depressing as you'd think. i would describe it more as "heavy." it weighs on your mind but doesn't try to bum you out. which i think was intentional.

August 04, 2005 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com