Thursday, February 16, 2006

I'm an eco-whore

Well maybe not a whore, but I'm all eco-ed out! So much so that I've decided to open a eco-store! I love organic clothes, but buying online is just not any fun - I want to be able to try it on, touch it, see if I really like it before I buy it. I think it's a great service to have an online store, and we will too, but I've found personally that it just doesn't work out for me. South Florida has a growing number of vegans and eco friendly people, which has been proven buy the response to Josh's Organic Farmers Market on Hollywood Beach, our favorite place to hang. He's had such a great response that he's just about to outgrown the space he has, we are going to see some more great things from that Josh!

It's finally time for us to do what we really want, instead of working just for money I want to have fun! What better way than to provide a local eco center where one can just go in and buy organic clothes, biodegradable stuff, get information, meet other like minded folks. Eventually we want our little store to grow into an eco-center, filled with all things eco and vegan. What's great is that so many products are out now, like cd's made out of corn, and even high fashion is turning eco. Times are changing, and I'm glad to be part of the positive change.



here's some great stuff we plan to carry, it's organic, natural dyes, chemical free... We will buy only the vegan stuff they sell, some of these places have silk and wool - but we wont.
Blue Canoe - I love the Jane Bra, best bra I've ever had!

Under the Nile - Mostly baby stuff, so soft, 100% organic Egyptian cotton.
Sahara Organics - Very impressed with the quality! They make the suit in the pic

Under the Canopy - Local Florida organic company


some other stuff we found that is organic/eco - and we might even carry, we are looking for the fashionable stuff...
Finding great things on this website

We thought about selling vegan stuff too, like the matt & nat bags I love - but we are holding off until we find out more about the materials they use - we have decided it all has to be vegan and eco-friendly - just because it doesn't have animal products doesn't mean it's good for the earth.

Or maybe we will start our own line, the possibilities are endless.

here is some info on just why we are doing this....

How long does it take for rubbish to breakdown?
- Orange and banana peel up to 2 years
- Cigarette butts 1-5 years
- Wool socks 1-5 years
- Plastic-coated paper 5 years
- Plastic bags can take between 20 and 1000 years
- Plastic film containers 20-30 years
- Nylon fabric 30-40 years- Leather up to 50 years
- Tin cans 50 years
- aluminum cans 80-100 years
- Glass bottles 1 million years
- Plastic bottles indefinitely

NOTE: Keep in mind what it takes to produce each of these, that makes a big difference eco-wise.
Some good and bad news. The glass is great because it can be reused and reused - but wow that is a long time. Its way better than plastic and many companies are going green with the production too. Biodegradeable plastics are coming out now made from hemp, corn and other plants! our friend is a musician and we hope to sell his music on biodegradeable cds inside biodegradable cd cases - this stuff is actually made!!! I love it

4 Comments:

Blogger Chai said...

bain- thanks for the links.

i am an eco-consumer as well. but, one of my biggest reasons i can't be totally and completely eco-consumer: $$$$$$$. sucks.

do you subscribe to treehuger.com?

February 17, 2006 8:17 AM  
Blogger Design By Bain said...

Yes I do, I love treehugger!!

I'm planning on starting with items that are affordable and eventually having a high-end boutique as well - money creates change. Unfortunatly not much is that affordable if sticking with eco values, but i think that will turn around soon. Even Target now has bamboo sheets, next well see organic and then fair trade! I can hope can't i?!

Thanks for commenting, i'm glad to bring eco-minded people to this blog!
Peace & Carrots
Lori

February 17, 2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

don't you mean PEAS and carrots? heheheheh

chai its good to see you on the blog again!

February 17, 2006 1:11 PM  
Blogger Design By Bain said...

I love writing peace and carrots, it's just my fun way of bringing the two together!
It's a raw-food/natural hygeinist thing.

February 17, 2006 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com