Thursday, June 30, 2005

what's your weakness

i have 3 top weaknesses: 1) crippling fear of failure; 2) debilitating laziness; and 3) obsession for all things bread related.

1) the fear of failure prevents me from aspiring beyond my place in life. i hate rejection and cannot imagine what i'd do if i actually admitted to myself that i wanted something and then was unable to obtain it after i made the best effort.

2) i'm unable to excel at anything b/c i lack the discipline and motivation to be good at anything. fading into the woodwork is the motif of my life.

3) i'll never be thin again b/c i can't give up my breads -- 14 grain bread with its nutty flavor; white bread that is just perfect for pb&j sandwiches; croissants to dip in my chai (the authentic indian stuff, not the crap that starbucks tries to pass off); crusty bread to accompany a slice of heaven in the form of brie; warm, buttery garlic bread...the list is endless. my taste buds have never met a bread they did not love instantly upon first contact.

what characteristic/tendency/propensity/desire/failure is keeping you from being who you want to be, what you want to look like, etc.?

3 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Rejection used to be a fear for me - but it isn't as strong anymore because I realized that you can't fight rejection - it will happen no matter what.

I do fear jumping from high places - but let me clarify - I don't fear heights. I don't look down and say that is scary. I am scared when I have to actually jump (let's say like bungee jumping or cliff diving). This would result in one of my most embarassing moments in my life - which melody was a witness to - I won't bother going into the details but all I have to say is I am a chicken.

June 30, 2005 11:23 AM  
Blogger elad said...

Tough, but good, question, Julie. It forces you to look into yourself and ask, "What's wrong with you, idiot?!"

Over the years, I've come to realization that I am afflicted with a severe case of cowardice. It manifests itself in various ways: shyness is a benign one, a fear of trying new things is another. The fact that I feel scared to "take the plunge" often hinders my development as a human.

As a writer, I need the experience of new adventures to inspire and motivate me. So, I almost force myself to close my eyes and jump into the water. I did that, in part, with my first "real" relationship (hi, Shawn). I was deathly afraid of being with someone because of the adverse effect on my writing/creativity. And it hasn't been easy. I really have no idea how people balance "Real Life" and the strenous demands of an artistic hobby/passion. But I jumped in (headfirst, eyes closed, mouth shut) and I'm very glad I did.

Sometimes you gotta jump.

June 30, 2005 12:40 PM  
Blogger happy roy said...

melody, you are my hero -- you'll know how to make croissants. i guess it's better that i don't have that knowledge or else i'd be a bigger heiffer.

June 30, 2005 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com