Wednesday, August 03, 2005

please, for the love of all things good, IDENTIFY yourself

one of my biggest pet peeves is people who call or leave messages saying "it's me". it's worse when you actually answer the call b/c you're expected to recognize the voice and understand who "me" is. it's not a problem when you have caller id, but what if you don't check the caller first or you don't have caller id? i HATE that. it puts you in the awkward position of either pretending to know who it is or to sort thru your mental folder of voices and try to match one to the caller. it's nerve wracking and completely unnecessary, if you ask me. if pepole would just identify themselves, it would make life a lot easier. i mean, my own parents, whose accents and tones i'd know anywhere, say, "hi it's mom/dad" on my voice mail...so why can't friends/acquaintainces do the same thing?

(btw, yes, i vaguely recall a seinfeld episode about this. i don't watch the show and i never found it amusing, but i remember the context.)

is this what caller id has done to our society?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel - i don't automatically recognize people's voices - i'm not too good at that - but I have to say I'm probably a little guilty of it myself. I'm pretty sure there have been times where I have said "Hey, it's me - call me back when you get a chance." I guess you just assume some people will know who it is?

August 03, 2005 11:21 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Yea I have done it to my mom -- call her and be like hi mom its me -- and she is like, "Lori?" It sucks. so now I dont do it anymore.

and yup there is a seinfeld episode about it. its hilarious (just like the entire show).

Some girlfriend does the "its me" to Jerry - Jerry pulls the "the old switcheroo" and does it back to her - and he finds out that she has a secret she is hiding from Jerry -- the tractor story - which drives him nuts (and makes him go on and on trying to guess what the tractor story is) we later find out her boyfriend told her that she got Gonorrhea from riding a tractor - "you call that the tractor story?"

August 03, 2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

AAAH!!! The "it's me" episode is on RIGHT NOW on TBS!!! crazyness!

August 03, 2005 8:36 PM  
Blogger happy roy said...

i saw the end of it, shawn and i was so excited!! i was babbling to george and he's like who what now??

August 04, 2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

oh you did!!! crazyness!!!

August 04, 2005 8:46 AM  
Blogger kovoor36 said...

i think it takesa certain comfort level with a person to be able to say, hey, its me on vm. i know i have said that and then thought, wait, are they really going to know its me is me?? and then quickly added, its me, nina! at the very least, feel flattered people feel comfortable with you? :)

August 18, 2005 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com