Thursday, September 01, 2005

My New Hero

Maybe 100 years ago, or maybe even 50 years ago, Doctors would treat a patient as if they were their own child. There was even bedside care in your own home. But today, well you are lucky to get 5 minutes of face time while sitting on that cold metal table with the white paper sheet that is supposed to keep away germs.

Well I have found something rare and I am almost afraid to post it on the internet in fear of ruining it! Dr Nagler is his name - and he is my new hero. I found Dr Nagler on Aetna's website of doctors who fall under my plan, and I gave him a call to treat my sick ass (after calling about 5 other doctors who weren't available). Got an appointment quickly, and when I arrived I filled out the mandatory paper work. And as I was at the window I saw notes from patients that thanked the Doctor for all of the great work he does.

His assistant did all the preliminary temperature and symptoms run down. I did wait maybe a half hour to see him (but I will admit I was late to the appointment because of a street address mix up) and then he came in. He picked on me and was super sarcastic. I was made fun of for not owning a working thermometer and for being a bad lawyer because I said yes to every question. But then the unthinkable. I got all my meds for free. You know those doctors have closets full of free samples of every drug out there - and he gave me the entire prescriptions worth!

At first the medicine wasn't agreeing with me, so I called the doctor for help, which he immediately phoned in another medication to my local CVS. But then it got even sweeter...he called me! Twice a day! For Three Days! Just to make sure I was getting better :) He even told me to come by his office for more medication that I was going to need! And today I went by and I got a surprise blood test just to make sure that there wasn't anything else wrong. And he didn't charge me for a visit!

His nurse told me that most doctors see 30 or more patients a day. She said Dr Nagler will not see more than 15 a day and tries to give each patient the time they need. Now I don't know how he affords it, but he doesn't look like he is a poor man. Maybe if all doctors started giving the healing touch then we wouldn't hate paying for it. But I am sure I am longing for a time that is long gone...and I just found one of the few left in this crazy world.

2 Comments:

Blogger kovoor36 said...

wow, that IS amazing! lucky you for finding one of the good dr's out there!! im still desperately seeking that doctor!

September 02, 2005 11:21 AM  
Blogger happy roy said...

shawn, you're SOOO lucky! i had an awesome doctor like that, my pediatrician. i went to her till i was 23, b/c i just knew that i would never find as compassionate and kind a doctor again. i still call her occasionally for help, i must admit.

September 07, 2005 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com